By now you’ve hopefully paid off the pre-Christmas credit card bill, which means one thing and one thing only: time to think about booking a holiday! But the great news is you don’t have to end up back where you started money-wise; there are plenty of great – and cheap – breaks to be enjoyed by the whole family both here in the UK and abroad. Read on…
- Bulgaria – if you’re short of cash and don’t want to resort to getting a 2nd job you’ll love Bulgaria. Not only is it a beautiful country to visit, it’s cheap too. One of the best places to head to is Sunny Beach, located on the Black Sea Riviera and between Varna and Bourgas.
You’ll be spoiled when it comes to sun, too – there’s over 1,500 hours between the months of May to October alone. Plus, the country’s shallow seas make it perfect for families, while a selection of three star hotels mean it’s a trip that won’t cost the earth. Take a look at prices and book your budget break for the summer.
- Butlins’ Spa, Bognor Regis – Some people – usually those who haven’t experienced the joy of Butlins breaks as a kid – tend to scoff at the idea of a budget holiday like this. But not anymore, we bet. Thanks to a £20 million spa, Bognor Regis, here in good old Blighty, makes a great spot for a family holiday at Butlins – there’s a reason the resorts are still going strong after all these years.
Plus, there’s no need to fly, and two hours in the spa can cost as little as £19. If you’re close enough to the resort, you can even head there for the day, taking advantage of its facilities for one great price – with everything from a water park to a funfair, you’ll be in your element on the entertainment front.
- Turkey – While it’s not as cheap as it used to be, Turkey still represents a great choice for a family holiday. What’s more, you can experience rich culture and plenty of entertainment for all ages in Turkey – from stunning ancient churches to lively resort kids’ clubs.
Once there, it’s cheap to eat out and drink and there’s a host of fun excursions available from most resorts. For popular destinations, check out Marmaris, Bodrum and Gumbet and get ready to enjoy your best break yet.
- Canary Islands – One of the cheapest package holiday destinations you’ll find, the Canary Islands are also ideal in terms of weather, with sunshine all year round. Popular with Brits, the islands offer cheap hotels, bars and restaurants to ensure your budget break is great value from the moment you touch down at the airport.
Head there in August for some of the most tempting temperatures, or go in February or March for the Tenerife Carnival – a hit with locals and tourists alike.
- Greece – Last but not least, it’s Greece, which sneaks its way in thanks to its lively nightlife and budget prices. There’s something for everyone here, too – from family-friendly resorts to havens for young clubbers. The capital city of Kos was once an old fishing town, but is now home to a thriving party scene. Check it out with friends, or visit the quieter resorts with young families.